New Hope Pennsylvania History
The quaint English village that Eleanor Miller called home is located north of New Hope, tucked between the Delaware River and the Canal Route. The city was incorporated in 1932 and is rich in history of the Revolutionary War. George Washington is said to have led his troops through the city on their way to Washington D.C. in 1776. In 1777, New Hope received more attention when General George Washington marched through the city.
In 1859, an anonymous traveller crossed New Hope and published a report on his journey. George Washington is said to have taken up residence in New Hope, but few historians believe that Washington was accommodated in New Hope.
The present name was given after a big fire in 1790, in which several mills in the area were burned down. Renamed New Hope Mills, the city's name was changed from Coryell's Ferry to New Hope. The reconstruction of these mills gave hope for the future, if it is considered a new area of hope, and so the city was aptly called "New Hope." The present names derive from the use that followed the large fires of the 1990s, in which several mill areas were burned down.
In 1790 the mill burned down, but Parry rebuilt it with determination and renewed hope for the future, calling it "New Hope Mills" once and for all. In 1791 he built a new mill, which he called New Hope Mill, on the same site as the old mill.
This brought new attention to the painter and other artists who put New Hope on the map in a way that few other small towns could wish for. The old mill building and the original mill grounds are now preserved as a museum by the Historical Society Neue Hoffnung and are open for public tours.
There are four murals on South Main Street in New Hope that capture the history of the Delaware Canal and trace its construction, which stretched for 60 miles, in the late 1820s. In 1876, a map of New Hope was prepared for a larger series to show Bucks County in the Centennial, including a company directory. The highlights are a stagecoach - bank robbers from the era of the Doan brothers, the first post office in the city, the first public school and a church.
New Hope was also home to an art colony founded by Edward Redfield and William L. Lathrop that produced significant regional works. The Impressionist movement, sometimes called the New Hope School or Pennsylvania School, was inspired by artists who drew inspiration from the natural landscapes of the county. The focus was on the natural beauty of the Delaware River and its natural environment, as well as a sense of history.
White settlers favored the development of communities along the Delaware River, and as such, New Hope, PA became an industrial center of mills and farms. These mills have given the region a boom and helped to put new hope on the map at last. The canal was declared a national historic landmark in 1976 after decades of change. Today, Delaware Canal State Park is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Pennsylvania and the second largest national park in Pennsylvania.
New Hope has much to offer, with many Revolutionary War buildings, such as the House of New Hope, the Old Court Building and many other historic buildings.
Historical conservation measures first appeared in New Hope in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The Parry family's home was the Old Courthouse, which was handed over to the New Hope Historical Society in 1966. Four generations of direct descendants lived on the property until 1966, when it was acquired and repossessed - from the direct descendants of four generations. In 1958, they became a driving force behind the restoration when they rescued the Parry Barn, which stands opposite the Parries House Museum.
In 1966, the New Hope and Ivyland Railroad was bought and founded, and it purchased 16 miles of tracks that stretched from New Hope to the Southwest and Ivylands. In 1966, New Hope & Ivy Land was founded in the old courthouse and Parry Barn and expanded to become the New Hopes & Ivy Land Railroad, Pennsylvania's first railway line.
As the name suggests, the line ended in New Hope, connecting the city with Trenton, before continuing to Morrisville, where passengers could transfer to Philadelphia by trolley, and then return to connect the cities with Trentons. New Hopes is located on Old York Road, where the old courthouse and Parry Barn and the former train station once stood, on the southern edge of New York County, south of Chester County. It is also located in northern Pennsylvania, north of Philadelphia and east of Penn State University campus.
New Hope gained its importance as a place where travelers could cross the Delaware River by ferry. New Hope is located on Old York Road, on the southern edge of New York County, south of Chester County and east of Penn State University.